If You Are Involved in an Accident

Stop your car - Never leave the scene of an accident in which you or your car was involved. No matter how slight the collision, if your fail to stop, you could be convicted of "hit and run" and be subject to criminal prosecution even if the accident was not your fault. If you are blocking a lane of travel and your car is still operable, move your vehicle to the side of the road.

Get aid for the injured - If anyone is hurt, call 911 and ask for an ambulance. Do not attempt first aid unless you are qualified to give it, as you could make matters worse instead of better.

Call the police - Call 911 for the police even if there are no injuries.

Remain in your vehicle - Put your hazard lights on to indicate that your car is not moving and stay in the car until emergency personnel have arrived.

Obtaining Your Accident Report

Statewide Uniform Crash Reports for Motor Vehicle Accidents can be obtained online or by U.S. Mail. Note: There is a fee for obtaining these documents pursuant to R.I. General Law § 42-28-37.


Accident reports can be obtained by going to www.BuyCrash.com, which provides online access to crash reports.

The trooper handling your accident will give you an accident report number before you leave the scene of the crash. In most cases, crash reports are available 72 hours after the report was taken, with the exception of crashes that remain under investigation (which cannot be released until the investigation is completed) and fatal crashes (which must be obtained through the Rhode Island State Police Accident Bureau).

We encourage all parties needing reports to utilize www.BuyCrash.com for quick, easy online access to crash reports. www.BuyCrash.com allows individual or multiple crash reports to be purchased with major credit cards or with a pre-paid account. To purchase an individual crash report, go to www.BuyCrash.com and follow the simple process. To purchase multiple reports at once, you must set up a subscriber account. To set up a subscriber account, click on "Business Account Login" and follow the steps to set up a subscriber account.

Via U.S. Mail

You may also request a copy of your accident report by U.S. Mail by sending a stamped, self-addressed envelope, along with a $15 check or money order payable to "The State of Rhode Island." Mail to: Rhode Island State Police: Accident Bureau, 311 Danielson Pike, North Scituate, RI 02857.

Note: Be sure to include the driver's name, date of the accident, and accident report number in your mailed request. Requests by mail will be processed in the order in which they are received.